Tuesday, November 20, 2018

 Light therapy...

Sewing therapy.  I think if you add the word "therapy" to anything you can justify spending time on it.  The days have been gloomy and oh so short.  William got me a therapy light last year and it really helped with the winter blues.  I have it sitting on my desk next to my easy chair.  I stitch on yoyos while I soak up the rays. Yoyos are one of my favorite hand work projects.  I tried hexies, but there comes a point where it get's too big and I'm puzzling over the right layout and direction.  It just got to be a bit much.  Yoyos are perfect.  Small.  Transportable.  They are always little and it takes about 3 minutes to make one. In a 15 minute light therapy session I can make about 5.  Hey, it adds up.  Plus, I work on them in the evenings watching a movie.  And even better than sewing them---  I get to cut them out!  I love cutting.  Applique is fun, but cutting out the applique, now that's a whole lot of fun. And tracing the little circles... also something you can do on your lap with a clipboard. This bag of yoyos is about full.  Time to break out a new bag.  The girls say they are going to start making them, too.  Can you imagine how many yoyos three people could make?  I sew them together on the sewing machine using a bar tack.  I'm undecided yet as to how we are going to sew them all together.  Crib, twin, queen... but for now I'm just playing with a running stitch. 
Today is a weird day for me.  The kids all went to work with their dad.  The grown kids and baby are out of state.  I'm left alone in the house.  The only time that happens is when I'm sick and they go to church.  Not very much fun.  SO what to do all on my own...  First, don't let the creepy quiet house bother me. Music.  That's what I need.  And I can listen to anything I want as there's no one else's taste to consider.  Decisions decisions.  I have a quilt on the quilting frame that could use a couple passes.  My limit as it gets a bit tedious. I am wanting to hand sew a civil way reproduction shirt for son #3.  He loves to participate in re-enactments.  Wouldn't he be surprised if I got it done for Christmas?  The pattern is online and it involves just measurements- it's called a square shirt- and no directions.  Ya have to go authentic to get any points for effort. So I need to search that out and print it up.  I need to bake an apple cake for Thanksgiving.  It's tradition.  Pumpkin pies, tomorrow. So I have a full day. Then, there's always the yoyos and the easy chair...

1 comment:

julieQ said...

OH sweet Nines! I have a huge bag of circles cut out...what size are yours? Enjoy your day! It is baking day for me.