Saturday, February 04, 2006


Now, you knew it was coming. You really did...

Another wool quilt. I just put this one on the frame, yesterday. I saw a similar one in a magazine several years ago and I liked it, as it was vintage. Reminds me of a girlie Charlie Brown shirt. I'm not sure how they made theirs, but I just made this like a split rail, on point. Which, combined with the extremely loose weave and low thread-count of the wool created a nightmare of bias. It still works for me, though. It has been sitting in a box for a couple years, at least, and I figured that since I am featuring old wool quilts I might as well get this one quilted. It goes along with the whole, "I don't have enough projects going so I need to add one more," schtick. I'm sure my Aunt Isobel never dreamed I'd make a quilt out of this wool- but what was I supposed to do with umpteen yards of bright, kelly-green houndstooth wool? And I really did like the pink. It is a generous queen-size for the girls' bed. Strictly a utility quilt, so I have been using it as a practice piece.

Abe the babe has croup. Yes, those are rhinestones around his neck. He wanted me to take his picture. I keep a jewelry box full of costume pieces in my quilting room so that the little ones have something fun- a treat- to play with when we are out there. Abe's daddy is going to have a cow when he sees this, but then again, maybe he won't see this. I also have a stash of wooden puzzles- one makes different quilt blocks using walnut, cedar, oak and maple squares and triangles. I'll need to take a picture of that. With Abe having croup, I have been able to blog into the morning hours. Holding a baby on your lap doesn't facilitate typing, but I get to read other people's blogs and get caught up on their goings on. Tonight, I'll be armed with that smelly chest rub stuff- I don't know if it actually helps, but I can imagine that mothers everywhere find some small comfort in feeling like they are doing something. Try not to be alarmed when a wiff of menthol seems to eminate from your computer. We made a steam room of the boys' bath, last night, and Grandfather really wouldn't approve of the condensation running down the vertical surfaces- but it really did help and my complexion is just glowing, now. Even if there are big bags under my eyes.

7 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh so sorry to hear about Abe. Oh I hated those days when the kids were sick and there was just nothing I could do. And I love that green and pink together! Off to see your other posts! I'm just getting a chance to catch up with everyone too!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Love the pink and green zig zags - excellent utility quilt.

Lucy said...

All children are the same on the world when they have that age. when they see a jewlery they want them on :c)

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

In regard to Sarah's earlier comment, you don't have to be any "gooder" than you are already for my benefit. We'll let the Lord be the judge...

And if you're good enough to appreciate / love Nina, you know I'll adopt you all - carte blanche!

Glad to be here.

Granny said...

Croup is scary! Hope it's gone soon and you get some much needed sleep.

That will probably be one of his favorite pictures one of these days -- with the necklace! :)

Judy L.

quiltpixie said...

Rhinstones, a boy's best friend.... :-) Actually it's a darling pic, and I love the idea of keeping a few trinkets "just for the sewing room" play.

Darcie said...

Love your idea too, for the kids' fun things for your sewing room. You're genius, Nines!

Hope Abe gets rid of the croup without handing it up to everyone else. Poor Mommy! When my son had it, the doc told us to fill a cool-mist vaporizer with ice all of the time. The warmth swells the mucous membranes, or something like that.

Love your miles-of-green-and-pink-wool quilt, Nines. Can't wait to see it quilted!