Sunday, May 28, 2006


I think his tractor's sexy...

That's Bill (DH) plowing our garden. I am determined to plant, maintain and harvest a garden, this year. I didn't even attempt it last year. A lot of work. But now, there are no green beans on the pantry shelves and no corn in the freezer... and that just ain't right. We planted 1/4 lb of corn seed- I got that for free as the sweet old man at the store said that anyone with 8 kids shouldn't have to pay for corn seeds... now why didn't I think to mention that at the gas station? And we planted a whole lb of green bean seed. How much will all this planting produce? I haven't the foggiest. It's not just the vagaries of weather, but I really don't know how much that will all wind up being. It is a pretty big garden- seems bigger when you are standing in the middle of it with a hoe. Figure we will make it a family project. If everybody hoes 2 rows... yeah, that might do it. We also planted 23 tomato plants- it seemed a bit skimpy, so I might need to fill that out a little. DH was with me when I bought the tomato plants and figured I'd need to break him in gentle- plus, I couldn't fool him into thinking that the hosta and fern plants I bought were really tomatoes- for a guy who doesn't eat vegetables, he's pretty smart. The boys and I felt sorry for him and planted 5 hills of potatoes- the red ones. The one vegetable Bill does eat. So you see why it is awfully sweet of him to spend a whole afternoon plowing a garden- 'cause he knows I love standing in the dirt.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow - two posts in one night! Nothing like a man on a tractor! Papa said he was going to have to start charging the kids a fuel surcharge for all the rides he has been giving them on the riding lawn mower and on the big tractor. I have already ordered a wagon ride and a weinie roast while we are at our mini-retreat! Ooh! and some smores!

Only 29 more days! I'd better get busy!

Miss you and love you!

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

I can just see your toes wiggling in that loamy soil. And doesn't freshly tilled soil smell sweet - but maybe different there. In WV it has a sweet clay scent...and usually too many rocks for deep toe wiggling. Enjoy your bounty! And tell those boys the're lookin' at muscle and stamina by the quart-full. Real men love gardens...just ask GF.

YankeeQuilter said...

Some neighbors and I were just talking about the old victory gardens that were so popular that last time fuel prices went through the roof! I remember having tomatoes everywhere since that was my Dad's favorite plant. Good luck with the garden!
Siobhan

Cher said...

oh what a wonderful garden you are going to have-I am so envious. I am sure your dh enjoyed the tractor play. It's a lot of work, but so rewarding to grow your own food.

Darcie said...

There really are good people in this world!

***the sweet old man at the store said that anyone with 8 kids shouldn't have to pay for corn seeds...***

How cool is that! What a saint!

Why don't you and Bill just come on over and dig in my dirt with that sexy tractor of yours!!!

;-)

Laura said...

Wow, what a garden. I can't imagine maintaining it, but I can imagine the wonderful beans, corn, and tomatos you will be dining on!