Sunday, July 23, 2006


I beg your pardon,

but I do know how to crop a picture. But I thought it might be a tad bit deceitful in this instance. Yes, my work space is a complete mess, but we have already discussed the fact that I work best in disaster zones. Now ain't that lucky I live in one? Oh, not really. At least not all of the time... I have made three major trips in the last three months and it is just so hard to... well, find a place for all of the wonderful new things coming into my already filled-to-the-brim old space... and the water bottle is a reminder of my son, Paul. Do any of you have a child like that? I swan, you could follow his trail through the house like he was Hansel and Gretel dropping bread crumbs! Ever leavin' a trail. He had used the iron and was thoughtful enough to put water in it for me. Thoughtful and yet, thoughtlessly forgetful. I just say he's a genius and figure all of them are absent-minded. What's a mom to do?

So, how do you like the blocks for the sampler? It is a lot of fun to actually make something from the dyed fabric. I tried Darcie's trip around the world... well, that's another story, but lets just say I'm not well-traveled. These blocks really are a little more interesting in person- you can see the variation in the fabrics more. I like these 6, best. I've made 2 others and I like them, but I just don't particularly like them with the other 6. But I might when I get a few more blocks done. I tried contrasting fabrics, but found I preferred a little less contrast. Left to right the names of the blocks are, Aircraft (My DB builds them. I like this simple block more than I thought I would,) Swamp Angel, Fair and Square, Four Square(there were 4 kids in my family,) Big T (Maiden name starts with a T,) and the blue one is Windmill Square. You guys would get a kick out of watching me put these little blocks together. (They are 9".) But I am actually pinning, on occasion. Pressing, oh, so carefully. I usually like to sew quilts using one block- repeating it so that there is an interesting overall pattern. If I mess up- and I often do- it won't make that big of an impact in the whole scheme of things. But with this sampler thing... gotta get it as right as I can, 'cause it's the only chance I've got. Oh, not that I'm losing any sleep over it, but I am applying myself a little bit more than I would, normally. And the Kona fabric is very nice to work with. Lots of body to it. Not much give. Well, think I'll sneak into the quilting room and see if I can do one more...

** As a little aside... You'll notice that I am getting enough blocks done that I am actually beginning to cover my Post-it notes of all the things I should be doing... hmmm...

8 comments:

dot said...

These are turning out rather nice. Keep up the good work.

quiltpixie said...

At least your son knows what an iron is, that it takes water AND that he could operate it! I'm impressed... :-)

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

We're going to dub Paul and Audrey the trailer kids.

Like the blocks and the thoughts behind the patterns. You're like Casey - you never do anything for only one reason.

McIrish Annie said...

i love hand dyed fabric. they definitely give a new spin to traditional blocks. It's nice to just one and then move on to a different design. That's the fun of samplers. These blocks look terrific!!!

Quiltgranny said...

How fun to see the direction your dyed fabric wants to go. But, I want to know about the heart quilt next to them, too. Did I miss it somewhere earlier in your blog?

Darcie said...

These look edible, Nines! Totally scrumptious! Love what you're doing with your hand dyeds.

And you know what? I give you permission to mess up. YOU CAN DYE MORE FABRIC YOU KNOW!!! ;-) LOL

And your workspace looks just right. If it were perfectly neat and tidy...I just don't know if I could call you my friend or not! ;-) Just kidding of course!

I need a Paul! ;-)

Tonya Ricucci said...

looks wonderful!

Isobel said...

Being able to create a disaster zone is an inherited trait Nines. So there you have an excuse. Your blocks are beautiful.