Thursday, July 20, 2006


Trying days...

tryin' to get something done... tryin' to stay cool... tryin' to find my brain... Yep, trying days...

Funny thing happened the other day. Was in a hurry to get to an appointment. Took my shower, and was brushing my hair when I realized that I had been in such a hurry, I had completely forgotten to rinse the shampoo out of my hair. Not just done a poor job of it, but completely left that step out. Lather. Rinse. It's not complicated and I've been doing it for years. Typical of me, lately- doing things halfway. Only it gets worse. much worse. A few days later, I am running late for work... I shower and I am brushing my hair... wait a minute... I had completely forgotten to wash my hair! I would have remembered doing it as it was a new bottle of shampoo. My legs were shaved, but my hair... No lather and no rinse. So it was back into the shower... drying your whole body off is a lot more time consuming when you're running late.

Another funny thing happened.... my Dnephew is staying with us until camp, next week, and we decided to fix a big dinner in his honor. So I asked him to think about what he might like- anything he wanted. The next evening when I got home from work, I ask him if he had thought of anything... He is following me around the house as I am doing my chores and towering over me as he tells me his thoughts... He is 17 and simply adorable. BBQ sandwiches- broiled open faced with mozzarella on top. Onion rings- home-made, and an apple crisp- "with a touch of cloves." How cute is that? So I get 2 huge pork roasts and... well, before I get them in the roaster... I am approached by a neighbor asking if I were aware that there is a company from North Carolina that is proposing to put a 6,000 head pig operation about 1/2 mile from my house!? I am a country girl and I really don't have anything personal against pigs... but 6,000 pigs??? Bill used to work as a pigherder and I can tell you that the smell does not wash out- and it lingers on your person for a good 6 weeks. Speaking of maloderous smells that linger... So I signed the ladies petition against the pig factory and put my pork roasts in the roaster... it was a sign... Now you guys know how hot it can be in Indiana in July, right? Real hot. So I am using my thinking cap and figure that if I put the roaster on the counter in the laundry room- which isn't air-conditioned and is closed off from the rest of the house... well, I thought it was a good idea. The laundry room would get hotter but who cares if the laundry is sweating? I covered them with water and turned the dial to 320*. Let them simmer all night. Kept dreaming about things burning... Yep, that would be those pork roasts. I jump out of bed and run into the kitchen... ok, I stagger outta bed and stumble into the kitchen...the laundry room door is glass and all you could see was white smoke. I'm thinking that the laundry room would be an excellent place for a smoke detector. Unplug the silly thing- obviously the thermostat has had a melt down. Open the doors and set up a fan. Bill carries the roaster outside where I filled it with water- again. But the smell remains. (any thoughts on how to make it go away? I've tried candles-ha! and Febreeze.)DS Jacob slept through the drama, and was doing his chore of getting the laundry put into the laundry room . When he comes out, he says, "OK mom, so why does the laundry room smell like cigarette smoke?" If I had been in a better mood I might have teased him by saying that yes, I have this little secret vice that I've been hiding from him for the past 14 years... All I said was I burnt something. Burnt something up. DH was so sweet about it. He gave me a big hug and volunteered to run back out to the store and get another roast. He brings home a beef roast. It was a sign.

And see, Darcie? Don't those peonies look familiar?

8 comments:

Melanie said...

Rough time on the home front,I vote for dinner out with a pit stop for therapy at the LQS. Hang in there..."Momma said there would be days like this..."
Keep sewing,
Melanie

McIrish Annie said...

wow!!! my day looks so much better now!! You are blessed with a great DH..

Patti said...

Oh Nina, I was laughing and crying at the same time while reading your post. You poor girl! Keep saying "this too shall pass . . . "

Sarah said...

Time to tell nephew that he is getting cereal for dessert and take yourself out for Chinese! Of course, I would see it as a reason to go out to chinese! Why don't you and the rest of the kids come spend the week of camp with me? Camp out at the Normans!

Love you!

Sarah

Saska said...

We have two of those hog farms close by...luckily not close enough to smell. Yep..does not wash out.

teelduo said...

Ok I just love his directions on what he wants to eat. Remind me not to ask exactly what he wants. HA HA

Sorry bout the burnt roast and sorry you forget to rinse your hair.

hugs

ForestJane said...

Wow, 6,000 pigs is a LOT of pigs! Hope you get something done about that.

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

O van just see Jon shadowing you through the house. Could be you are his "Aunt Karen" - and isn't that quite a gift!