Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Was it really only a week ago...

that I was in Tennessee with Sarah? Here is the quilt that I made for her for our birthday challenge. She gave me the blue fabric... which of course, I had nothing that remotely matched. So I threw in what I had (part of the rules that you couldn't buy fabric) and she seemed to like the results. Some one said it was very subtle for me. Yeah, it is. I really enjoyed working on this quilt, even though... the fabric choices were out of my usual sphere. The fact that it was Sarah's quilt probably had a lot do with that, but I think the best part was just taking my time working on it. I received the challenge in the end of September. And I just made sure I worked on it a little every week. I already had the pattern picked out, I just needed to sew. I usually pick out a pattern and fabric and then really push myself to finish it quickly- like it's some kind of race. Or it is for some one and I have a deadline of when it needs to be done. This had a deadline- our birthdays in June, but I had nearly a year to make it. A lesson learned- plan ahead. It's lots more fun.

Since coming home, I have been in a post-Xmas funk. You know what I mean? Months spent in anticipation and preparation of a big event and when it is over... now what? Not that I don't have tons to do, but I just don't seem to have any steam built up to do it. So... I cleaned the living room. Weeded the flower garden. Might have sewn or quilted, but DH was working on decorating my quilting room ceiling- very cool. Corrugated steel, from the old barn- rusty in spots and primitive. He finished a couple days ago and now I need to clean up the mess. All the price you pay for progress and I don't mind a bit. Looks like you're in an old shed. Bill just laughs at me and says, "People are probably wondering why you want to make this old house look even more run down..." I guess I don't figure into it what other people think. Plus, I ask you, what do you think a nice new room looks like on an old house? Out of place, that's what. This looks like it's been here for years. Very cozy. Goes with my whole "industrial cottage" decorating theme. Love the metal. At any rate, I need to clean up the saw dust and straighten everything out. I also need to unpack my sewing machine. I so pity the poor people who have to lug the sewing machine out every time they want to sew. I remember those days and I am so happy they are past. It really inhibits my creativity. I guess that's how I get so much quilting done- it's just sitting there, waiting on me. How could I resist? But just knowing that I have to take the sewing machine out of the box has kept me from binding that coal mine quilt... and who knows what else.

We had a pitch-in, yesterday at DH's sister's house. So had lots of cooking to do for that. Thought about Judy L. She says they rarely go out to eat and that she cooks a lot. hmmm. I guess that could be said of me, too. But I jump at the chance to eat out- just to have someone else do it. Of course, the whole cooking for 10, might jade me a bit. But mostly I love it. Cooking, that is. Oh OK, and eating. Did too much of it, yesterday. So today I'm feelin' weary from all that cooking and eating. So, I thought I'd take my time- like with Sarah's quilt and fertilize the flowers. Did a load of laundry. And now I need to take DS Joe back to the dentist. He had a root canal, last week. He gets very defensive when people learn this, "I don't have any cavities! I brush my teeth!" He got shot in the mouth with a pellet gun. He had protective goggles on- he just smiles, too much. Cracked his tooth- in two directions. The dentist didn't have much hope that it wouldn't fall out, but so far so good. At least I get to just sit in the waiting room. Now doesn't that sound relaxing?

6 comments:

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

What a FANTASTIC quilt!!!

However, dentist and relax are not ordinarily linked in my psche...

My go button isn't working today, either.

XXXXXXXOOOOOOO mom

dot said...

Nice quilt. I work in a dental office so I am always relaxed in the dental office, now dr office, thats a different story. I like reading your posts. Keep up the good work.

quiltpixie said...

relax! dentist! you've got to be kidding!

Darcie said...

Great quilt for Sarah, Nines! You done good, girl. It is quite subtle...relaxing. Very nice.

I can relate to your Christmas blues. It always takes me awhile to come off of a cloud too. I think you're doing quite well though...staying terrifically busy. Wanna come share your blues with me?!?

Bring that husband of yours too...I LOVE INDUSTRIAL COTTAGE!!! I've always called my little *phase* "Industrial Country." Can we see your ceiling...pretty please!!!

So sorry about your dentist emergency. Love that your son smiles *too much* though...even in battle! ;-) What a guy!

ForestJane said...

I like the quilt!

The colors kinda blend together, making it very restful - sometimes I think the bright batiks are so vibrant they don't fit (without clashing loudly) in many living spaces!

Laura said...

Gorgeous quilts both of you made! You are so lucky to have each other and the friendship you share!