Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Nubbins...

Darcie says that we enjoy the process as well as the project... And I know she's right. So here's part of my process...

Laying by my lovely Featherweight is 96, 4-square units- waiting to be sewn up. That's 384 little 1 5/8" squares. They are going together for the border of my hand-dyed wallhanging. That's so my walls will look cozy. The pile next to those baby squares is my "nubbins." When I was a little girl, I would watch my Grandma cut out biscuits- with a glass. She was a great biscuit maker and a superb gravy maker. (Whenever anyone compliments me on my gravy, I think of her and I sure wish I had some of her gravy. I think gravy deserves it's own food group.) When she was finished with cutting the biscuits out, there would be these tiny bits of dough left over- from in-between the circles. She would gather them all up and gently press them into a "nubbin." A big crusty biscuit. Aunt Karen always called "dibs" on the nubbin. That was fine by us kids- we always liked the soft, fluffy insides, best. But if my Aunt Karen were still with us, I might have to wrestle her for that nubbin. Adults do strange things like that- claiming they like and even prefer the heel on a loaf of bread and that the chicken wing is their favorite piece. "Yeah, right," I remember thinking as a child. "You keep telling yourself that and you might start believing it!" Skeptical little thing, wasn't I? Now, the "nubbins" make me happy. These nubbins on my sewing table are what's left after trimming and squaring. No, I won't be throwing them away. I save them in a nubbin box. When I have enough, I make a nubbin pillow. Now these pillows do not resemble my grandma's fluffy biscuits. These are more like mine. Little chunks of lead. Not the kind of pillows you teasingly swing at a family member's head- not if you want them to remain conscious! They are quite solid nubbin pillows, and have a nice old-fashioned feel to them. The kind you might have found at Grandma's.

14 comments:

quiltpixie said...

good use of all the bits... I sure hope no rambitious child runs past your pile of sqaures and creates a breeze :-)

Darcie said...

You are just too cute, Miss Nina!

Your little hand dyed pieces are so precious! Oh! I swear they look edible...really I do! Can't wait to see them all married and together forever!

Love your nubbins story...as well as your hand dyed nubbins. (I doubt your biscuits are leady!!!) Perhaps I could blog on my own blog one of these days and show you what I do with my nubbins, hmm?

Darcie said...

OK...and your table! Another one of Bill's terrific finds? Story please! It's gorgeous! (You know...everytime I dream about having wood floors--or laminate ones or whatever--I think of your floors!) ;-)

Sarah said...

I have all my colorful nubbins in a pretty glass jar on my sewing table. Much too pretty to throw in the trash!

Miss you!

Love, Sarah

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

Someone once told me that their Grandma tucked her nubbins under several biscuits and they then could pull out a little nubbin plug and eat it first.

Somehow I didn't learn how to make "mommy biscuits" until I was over 30, and I still like them best.

Great story. XXOO Mom

The Calico Cat said...

So are you going to stuff a pillow with that "nubbins?"

Tracey said...

I LOL when I read how your g-ma made biscuits! I do it the *exact* same way. Way back when I was married, we didn't have money for squat (and for a good many years after as well) so only the absolute necessary was bought. A biscuit cutter wasn't one of those things...so I used my glasses. Why not? :o) And my little left-over dough pieces are formed into what I've always called "duds"...but I like "nubbins" better I think. Sounds nicer I do believe.

McIrish Annie said...

I have read some gals saving these scraps and making beds for their pets. Our guild is going to save the "nubbins" from our projects and collect them for pet beds to be donated to the local animal shelter.

LOVE the color of the hand dyed nubbins...

Quilts And Pieces said...

OK, so now you have to share your nubbin pillows with us! What does it look like? Your dyed fabric is GORGEOUS!

Should I share what I do with my dough nubbins? (shhhh - I eat it raw)!

Tonya Ricucci said...

So are these nubbins going to be stuffing for the pillow or something fun on the outside? Those are some big pieces! If you're talking about just using them as stuffing, send em to me instead - I'll piece with them! Or make some kind of thready with them. Too beautiful for stuffing!

Love all the colors - can't wait to see your finished project.

KC Quilter said...

I loved your story about the "nubbins" biscuit!! And cutting out biscuit dough with a glass is how my own mom did it in the early years!! I had forgotten about that--thanks for the memory!

Judy said...

I think the stuffing idea is great! I love the fabrics you gals made on your trip. I MUST get around to trying that one day.

So do you love your Featherweight? It's my next big purchase that I'm saving for soon. Just love them!

Ann said...

Wow, what pretty nubbins you have! Not to mention the beautifully lined up little squares of gorgeous fabric!

ForestJane said...

I agree with quiltpixie, no rambunctious kids or cats better come cruising by ... lol

Love the colors though!

My mom always called the last biscuit made from all the scraps the 'hoecake'.