Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The last golden days of summer...

The crickets are singing their hearts out and you can tell from the sounds and smells that autumn is just around the corner. DH Bill says that there is never enough summer to get all the work in that needs to be done. I usually run out of steam before I run out of summer. Some people say, "Dontcha wish there were 5 more hours in the day?" I say, "Are you kidding? I barely survive the 24 I've already got!" But summer is at an end and I find that I am so looking forward to the cool nights and clear autumn days. I love the smell of the apples ripe in the trees and bonfires burning. It all turns my mind to quilting, of course. Need something to snuggle under during our long draughty winters.

I made each of my boys a quilt- years ago, of denim. My Mom helped me cut all of these blocks from old, worn blue jeans. We left in some pockets and zippers. I did the sewing and in a couple days we had one queen-size quilt and one twin-size quilt. Ok, that gives you a hint as to how long ago it was- when we had only the three boys. Years flowed and bumped by and now... well, something had to be done. I ripped apart the old quilts and made alternate blocks of red and taupe twill and came up with 5 quilts. I should say, "quilt tops" because they have yet to be quilted. Bad mommy, I know, I know. Well, now I have 1 more gorgeous little boy who needs a quilt, too. Even if it is only a top! I recently received a box from a friend full of old hand-me-downs- loads of jeans that won't fit anyone here- so I have the stash to make another- I think I have enough of the red and taupe scraps to make it all work. Their bedroom is red, white, and blue. Yes, all 6 boys share a room. I can feel you all gettin' all pitiful for those boys, but really, they have a pretty sweet deal. It's a 30'x18' room and so they each have their own bed, their own window, their own desk- and a bathroom they don't "have" to share with the rest of the house. Well, of course no one wants to share a bathroom with 6 boys, but that is beside the point. And they have tons of room to spare even after all those beds and desks. People say it's like a barracks. Only more homey, I hope.

So here's my fall goal- I'm laying it all out there for the world to see. I want to get all 6 tops quilted and bound in time for Xmas. I'm just going to meander on them so I can zig around rivets and such. I really think I can do it. My one question would be... what do you think should go on the back? I was thinking a thin batting- have to have something to soften the seams of the denim.... and maybe just a wide muslin.... maybe. They already weigh a ton- if they slide off the bed, the little boys will need help from their big brothers to pull it back on! Bill put a lock on my quilting room door so I can work on Xmas projects without anyone spoiling their surprise- at least that's what he said it was for... come to think of it, there was a certain gleam in his eyes...

8 comments:

quiltpixie said...

hope its you not DH that's holding the key to that sewing room :-)

When I did a denim quilt a few years back I backed it with polar fleece and had no batting. Figured the denim would hold hte fleece in shape (I find it stretchy for backing often) and the demin and fleece were both lots warm enough even in central canada in the dead of winter

Jenni said...

I used flannelette on the back of my denim quilt. I know it makes it a bit heavier, but then it would probably help the quilt to stay on the little ones beds. Photos please

Hedgehog said...

Maybe something different for each boy? A novelty print (or a pieced back including one) that represents each one? Muslin seems like it would show little boy dirt. Sounds like a big goal - good luck and can't wait to see the photos!

Sue said...

I used flannel on the back of a jean quilt and it worked out great. It feels nice and stays put on the bed, and it's just a bit thicker than cotton so you don't have to use batting if you don't want to.

Darcie said...

Shoot. That's what's wrong with me...I don't have a lock on my workroom door. Can I come and be locked up in yours, Nina?!? We'd have a blast.

I've done a few quilts (clients of course!) with just the top and a fleece backing. No batting. They're pretty awesome. They're stuggly. Not so stiff, like some get when there's batting. Just a thought for you to ponder.

I can't wait to see these. Love the sounds of your color combo...especially with the taupe and red...and denim! How handsome sounding for young guys.

Thanks for the pic of your hills. They're so green! We're drying up to smitherines over here.

Lucy said...

Loveley Picture. I smelled today the fall here too! It is comming.

Rae said...

I think you are very industrius to try to get all six quilts done by Christmass. Good luck

ForestJane said...

Just be careful if you use fleece... I bought some cheap fleece to back a jean quilt and unfortunately it was NOT the no-pill kind. Now it's a mess.