Monday, October 30, 2006

Like it...

or not, I have quite a bit of this fabric. Apparently, I liked it enough to buy it...twice! It all started when Sarah and I went to a little quilt shop in Pendleton. They had this fabric on the clearance table. Hmm... wonder why? ohh, I do like it. It was half-off and so I bought a few yards. I remember Sarah rolling her eyes. About 6 months later, it was still on the clearance table. Hmm... wonder why? Ahhh... I still like it. It was half-off the clearance price so I bought the rest of the bolt. Now I have a tub half full of this fabric. About 8 yards. It is a rather large print- and I think it is one of those unusual civil war reproduction fabrics. I have always been a sucker for brown and turquoise, but I don't have a clue of what to do with it- that funny green is really hard to match.

If it isn't too late to show my pincushions, I thought I'd share mine. The little crow is the one I take with me when I am appliqueing and only need a few pins- and there is a little "under-wing" to hold the needles. The chicken I made from Darcie's pattern- I admit to feeling a bit... queasily guilty, every time I stick her with a pin! (I used to rotate the dolls I slept with- to keep from hurting any of their feelings- such an emotional pushover!) I thought Finn would especially like my rocking chair pincushion. It is quite old and needs some repair work. Those pins are permanantly embedded into the "cushion." It must be sawdust- but it is hard as a rock and you can't use the pins after they have been dulled by it. I have some real vintage fabric that I'll try to get around to replacing it with a little bean bag. The little lace pillow is covering a silk pillow and the tomato is my favorite standby. The rulers- my mom got me the 6" square- I can't tell you how much easier it makes making postcards- I have made about 35 in the last couple days- getting ready for Xmas. The Kaleidoscope ruler I treated myself to- I think my mom needs one!



14 comments:

Carol E. said...

I love your compassion for all the dolls, not wanting to hurt their feelings. This is my version of inanimate objects having feelings. I like it, especially in the winter time, when a car pulls out of a parking spot, and another car pulls right in. I think it keeps the parking spot warm and happy to be used regularly instead of being left cold and open to the elements. Crazy, huh??

Hedgehog said...

That's great fabric! It will make a nice back - with plenty still left over!

Quiltgranny said...

I had totally forgotten that I had a rocking chair pincushion when I was a young girl, still at home with mom and dad! Hmmm, wonder what happened to it? But I do love your little bird! How perfect to take it along when you applique~

quiltpixie said...

Good thing you like the fabric if you're going to keep buying it! :-)

ForestJane said...

My worst memory of 'things my big brothers did to me' is when one of them yanked the two little front teeth out of my Chatty Cathy doll. I was sure she'd been laying in her bed, crying and hurt all night. :(

Lucy said...

I LOVE your rocking pincushion!! and yes the fabric is awesome. I have only a fat quarter of it .You lucky girl with all the yards !!

sewprimitive karen said...

Hey, the fabric is great; it would be a wonderful backing. Wonder what line it is from...your pincushions are adorable, especially love the rocking chair painted white with the decal.

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

I still like the fabric, too. I think it's a new year's proposition...our heads are too cluttered with Oct./Nov./Dec. colors to give it a fair shot now.

I've 'designed about 25 postcards. Could not find the double stick stabilizer, however. May stitch and send them along...they're very simplistic and could use a bit more of your embellishment anyway.

XOXOXOXO Mom

The Bashams said...

Love the brown and turquoise fabric! It would make a cute quilt back but it's cute for a top too!

Tracey said...

I still can't get this little girl's voice outta my head....."RETREAT!!!!!!!" LOL! I had to come back and comment on it. Have been thinking about that story all day. Too cute. :o) Thanks for the laugh.

Anonymous said...

Cute pincushions - my fave is the rocking chair. Way cool!

(And I used to rotate my dolls too, for that exact same reason)

Hope you're having a good week!
God bless :)

Judy said...

I LOVE that fabric!! I love all the really weird CW fabrics and in the right quilt you just need a touch hear and there. 8 yards could last for years or be a very special backing for a neat person's quilt.

Love the ealrier quilt and the pincushions too!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Actually when the fabric was new I paid full price for it! And that green color is my favorite kind of green (well in a quilt or fabric)! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Texan said...

Brown and vintage blue is very vogue right now you know!! Yep the browns are back in home decor and vintage blue is with them!!! So you are so in chic!!! I think it will make up beautiful... just need the right pattern!! :O)...