Saturday, December 30, 2006

Abe's Feast...

Abe is 3 and he has personality. Lots of personality. His Grandmother made this apron for him and he was so thrilled to receive it. He was having to wear an old white waist apron- up under his armpits. This one, with the tools on it, is "kewl." Abe had a feast any 3 year old would have loved- and we all enjoyed it, too. Let's see... he set the table with a picnic tablecloth in bright plaid blue and orange. His appetizer was Ritz crackers with cream cheese and strawberry jelly. This is a treat Abraham dearly loves and so it was a no-brainer for him to serve to his guests. He made them himself and the kids were sweet in not mentioning the big blops of jelly all over the serving plate. He also dished up a big bowl of goldfish crackers. His main dish was West Virginia hotdogs. Hotdogs are one of those foods that differ greatly from one area to the next. First, you broil the hotdogs- no water near our weenies, please. Then, be sure to steam your buns. A West Virginia hotdog is topped with mustard, onions, chili, and a sweet creamy coleslaw. Now, I know that probably sounds weird to you guys, but we West Virginians like our coleslaw. You should try it- as Abe says, forking in a big bite, "I love this stuff!" And yeah, you usually have to clean your plate with a fork because it gets real messy. Ah come on, you know you want to try it! He fixed a side of french fries and we had orange juice to drink. He made giant cookies with M&Ms in them for his dessert- which I don't know why he bothered as he likes to pick all the candy out and just eat that! He bought ink pens for the bigger kids and the 3 youngest all got little travel magna-doodles. It was a lot of fun to be 3 again!

12 comments:

Angie said...

Aww, daggonit, I misplaced my invitation, Abe, and I missed my most favorite meal in the whole world, from start to finish, INCLUDING slaw on my hotdog, thank you very much!!! ;P And I LOVE your apron...think your Grandmother would make me one just like it??? Happy, happy New Year, everyone!!
Angie

Patti said...

I just love hearing all about your kids and their feasts. What a wonderful legacy you are giving all of them, and what a marvelous way for them to learn that giving is so much more fun than receiving. I've never heard of another family that does this - what a shame. I'm going to try to start this tradition with my grandchildren. I sure wish I'd thought of it when my children were little.

ForestJane said...

I've been watching your feasts unfold, what fun you're all having! I like slaw on my dawgs too, so maybe it's not as uncommon as you think! And of course, here in Memphis, it's slaw on bbq too. ;)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Everytime you post something about Abe I just want to hug him. I can tell by your posts that he is one of those kids that just make you smile! He looks mighty cool in his new apron!

Carrie said...

Cute, cute, cute! He LOOKS like he has a lot of personality! LOL

Happy New Year!
God bless :)

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

That might look a little like the tame side of his personality...teehee. What a sweetheart! I'm glad he could wear the apron.

As for hot dogs and slaw...what, no chili? Not that I'm picky. I'd sit down to Abe's table ANY day.

Love to all, Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm thoroughly enjoying reading about your children's feasts. They have given us a bit of a laugh and they're all so sweet :-)

Sarah said...

Dearest Nines -

Looks like Lisa must have arrived safely at your house and was able to figure out your blogger woes! I have been trying to organize all my sewing stuff today so I can start sewing again! I have a baby quilt that needs to be done by January 27 - not even started yet!

Love you!

Sarah

Tracey said...

That boy of yours is adorable!! You can just tell that he LOVES that apron!! :o)

Love your new look!

Happy New Year!

Darcie said...

Ooh! I have to admit...I've never heard of slaw on dogs...but why not! Sounds more terrific than sauerkraut! (sp?) Tasty!

Hearing about your holiday season and feasts have brought me many smiles...and giggles too.

LOVE your new blog look! It's orange! So fun...and with a little bit of blue for grounding. Lovely...lively.

Hugs to you...enjoy your week!

Darcie said...

Oh...and by the way...those brown eyes and that smile? Killahs!

Big hugs!

teelduo said...

Your new looks is magnificant. ROFL