Friday, August 24, 2007


A Case for Leaders and Enders...

I've never used a leader or an ender. I've just always been in the habit of holding my threads when I start and that seemed to work fine. But this morning, when I looked down at the little pail I use for my clipped threads... well, I could just imagine all that thread actually doing a job- like holding peices of fabric together, and I figure I need to cut me some little squares! You could tell I've had a high ole time peicing by the amount of thread outside the pail! I do this when I am quilting, also. When I am really into the project, I am in an alternate reality where the clippings can automatically find their own way to a waste bin. I must throw them over my left shoulder like Eleanor Burns, but I can't really say what I do- I just turn around when the job is done and whoa! Who threw all that thread on the floor?! Thought I was hitting the pail!

So now that I am pondering the possibility of using leaders and enders... I am noticing the my sewing machine- a vintage 1950 Electro-Grande, does indeed suck up thread at the beginning of each new peice- rather annoying if you don't get a good grip on that thread! It makes you wonder if it would exceed any known laws of physics to make that needle eye any smaller? I find myself just aiming for the general direction of that tiny whole, because there is no way I could actually see it! Also, in the Electro-Grande, the needle is in sideways- makes it even harder. So, with leaders and enders, there should be less thread grabbing- by me, and thread snarfing- by the machine. I also have noticed that I have to rock the fly wheel to get a fresh start, and so, a leader would eliminate this also. Kewl. Sometimes it would be nice to actually have your hands on your project, instead of one on the thread and one on the flywheel. I'm thinking I might actually start having points in my quilts. Imagine. I'm thinking 1 1/2" strips, cut into squares. Little 1" blocks are awfully sweet, huh? You guys have a great day! I'm off to the "cutting room!"

5 comments:

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

The thread throws might be genetic...:) I'm thinkin' angelina fibers and post cards for the thread shavings.

And I like the new picture! XOXO

Quilts And Pieces said...

Your thread "stash" is too funny! I always use leaders and enders - but if I have something real that I use them for I end up sewing them more than the project! So I just sew over and over and over on my leader/enders!

Sarah said...

Wow - 4 new posts in 10 days. I don't do leaders and enders per say - but I do sew onto and off of a piece of scrap fabric. I just have several sitting by my machine for that purpose.

Have a great weekend! Miss you!

Carol E. said...

You crack me up! (And I don't do leaders and enders, either. I can't add any more little doo dads to my brain.)

Darcie said...

Too funny! Better missing the bucket than *kicking* the bucket though, right!!!

So how are the little one-sies coming along?

More hugs....