Thursday, September 27, 2007


Better late than never...


This quilt top was made by my friend, Jeanie's, Mom. I figure it was made about 1940. Somewhere around there. She had the whole top done and even marked for quilting, but like a lot of quilters, that's as far as she got. I just followed her lines-figuring they probably won't wash out as they have been in that fabric for the better part of 50 years- and then embellished with some of my own. The blocks were torn- so they were very straight, and then hand-sewn. I did a little stomping on those seams as I don't recall seeing fabirc quite so fragile before- it was just a grade above gauze. But didn't it turn out pretty?

8 comments:

Shelina said...

Happy belated anniversary! The utility quilts you showed are great. Each quilt is a work of art in itself. How wonderful that you finished an old UFO - from that long ago, you probably reduced the average sitting time for UFOs by finishing it!

teelduo said...

Very pretty!

Kudos to your quilt racks. LOL

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

It turned out very pretty indeed! Keep stompin'!

Sarah said...

OK girl friend - your quilting is AMAZING!!! Do you give private in (my) home lessons? I would even buy you a plane ticket! Hope you and Bill had a nice anniversary. I miss you!!

Love - Sarah

Dona said...

Beautiful quilting and very interesting pattern.

atet said...

It's absolutely stunning! What a lovely quilt, and how wonderful that it will now be used/viewed as a finished quilt!

Sarah said...

I nominated you for a 'You make me smile" award. Check out my blog to see what it is about.

Julia said...

It is gorgeous. Do you quilt by hand, machine, long-arm? Your quilting is simply divine!!!!
I haven't worked on the ISpy, that you sent the adoption quotes for yet, everything is cut and ready to sew. I will probably finish it to put under the Christmas tree for him. Thanks again for the quotes, they made me cry.