Thursday, September 29, 2011


Wednesday's Whine of the Week...


hmmm... what shall it be, what shall it be...

Bumpeldy entries. The first 15' into the more popular of supermarkets have bumpeldy floors. They're very rough and extremely textured to help prevent someone from slipping and falling when they are wet. Rain, snow, ice=wet. Thus the bumpeldy floors. I have noticed that the other area stores have somehow managed to survive without this added safety measure. They provide mats that have deep grooves and crevices to catch any runoff water. And their interior floors lack some of the highly polished and deadly slick concrete in ... OK, I'll just say it! Walmart. Yes, Walmart has bumpeldy floors in their entry ways and slick as snot floors in their interiors. Yes, they do.

So what's my whine about the bumpeldy entry ways? I'm all on board when it comes to safety. This is what I'm getting to. Almost every time I get a cart, it rumbles across the bumpeldy floor. You have to get into the main part of the store- past that greeter- and then you figure out- Hey! I got a bum cart! It lists. It pulls. It makes an unearthly racket- all without the assistance of the bumpeldy floor. See? All of this was impossible to discern when you're on the bumpeldies. I don't know about you, but I'd just as soon not make the rounds through Walmart with a troublesome cart- way too many square miles to be covered- 'cause ya know it would be just too simple to put things together that actually made some kind of sense- oops- trespassed into another whine. So very easy to do.

Where was I? Yeah, the bum cart. After discovering it's defects, there's the u-turn past the greeter to choose another cart. Taking the gamble that the second cart is better than the first- no way of knowing until the same process has been undertaken, yet again. So past the greeter-again-(maybe I'm secretly whining about that greeter- whom I find ironic in a store where one can never find help, but where they are setting out this token greeter to make you feel like they actually care. When all they're really there for is to deter miscreants from shoplifting. Man, I'm in a mood, huh?) And now you can finally exhale 'cause this cart is doable. After smiling and nodding at that greeter three separate times- and you're gonna have to do it again on your way out. Whine accomplished- with a few bonuses thrown in. More bang for your buck- rather like that store.

3 comments:

Isobel said...

I call them woogedy buggies...possibly caused by too many trips across the bumpeldy floor. I particularly 'like' it when they list to one side...it is always the side wherein fragile things are stored.

Elaine Adair said...

Have you had plenty of water today? LOLOL! That's how I feel when I don't drink enough. 8-))

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

I agree with you about the nasty bumpy floor at the entrance and the carts that are in need of serious repair.

Yes, they put those bumps there to keep you from noticing right away that you have a cart that is defective. They figure that if you don't find out the cart is practically unusable until after you have gone a hundred yards into the store you will be too tired to take it back and get another one---which is also in need of repair.
You have just got to love Wal-Mart for being so underhanded and sly. Everyone needs to start a campaign to get Wal-Mart to fix their carts AND the floor. --GF