Friday, December 07, 2018

 Bricks and stepping stones...

We're busy, busy here in the shop.  Like little elves.  While my sweet man is running to the post office to drop off orders, I'm lolly gagging around posting a blog entry.  Don't tell.  But all work and no play makes Nina a stressed out girl!  This is a bricks and stepping stones quilt from Bonnie Hunter's pattern.  I ended up making two of them- one for each daughter- out of yep, strip bins.  And I really like them and more importantly, the girls do, too.  I'd like to get them quilted by Christmas but things are going to have to settle down out here in the shop for that to happen.  At any rate, we're not celebrating Christmas until January, so I think it's doable.
'Tis the season to make fruit cake. 

 Fruit cake gets a bum rap.  If you think you don't like fruit cake, maybe you've never had home made.  I'm just saying it's a favorite around here and they'd never let me get by without making it every holiday season.  It takes 3 hours to bake so I make two at a time.  Kinda expensive but worth it.  The trick is to age it at least two weeks.  And I don't use brandy to soak them in but orange juice.  Is that weird?  But it's mighty tasty. I have a lot of elves to help in the process. Love spending time together.  I got to hold the grand baby, shout out directions and sit back and watch as they did all the work.  How cool is that?  

1 comment:

mamasmercantile said...

How wonderful to have helpers around the table with the cake, lots of amazing memories been created. I love fruit cake and make one every year. This year I have added some whisky.