Monday, December 17, 2018

Countdown to Christmas...

I'm spending a lot of time at my desk.  Our Etsy shop is still in high dudgeon. I don't think that's a real word but spell check says it is.  Last minute orders are needing filled and everyone is in a panic that the order they placed a week before Christmas may not arrive in time.  Guys, ya waited to the last minute to order.  I'm doing the best I can.  But we'd hate for anyone to be disappointed.  So we press on into the wee morning hours and beyond- taking a nap in place of a full night's sleep.  Reassuring nervous customers that it'll be there.  I wonder if they've considered that it might get there a bit sooner if I didn't have to stop and answer their emails... Probably not. 

So we bought a small artificial tree this year as a "pre-tree."  You know, one you put up before you get the real deal.  Why would I do that?  Cause with all this busy-ness with the business...  I just hate to be rushed when it comes to the holidays. I LOVE Christmas and everything it entails.  I'm that friend you're annoyed with because she plays Christmas carols in October.  I love the cooking and baking.  The wrapping and decking. So, I'm gonna have two trees. One small artificial tree that we've decorated entirely with home made ornaments- except the candy canes.  There's popcorn strings and dehydrated oranges and apples.  Gingerbread men and metallic painted cardboard stars. Hand sewn stars and hearts and a couple of these cute doves.  (My niece made these.  She's big into re-purposing and denim is her favorite. The red flannel stars are from flannel pajama bottoms.)  My daughter hand-dyes Ukrainian eggs- works of art.  It's a very pretty tree.  

But come Saturday, the big one is going to be cut down and I can hardly wait!  The tree farm is normally closed, but he says he'll open up for us- he lives there and said he doesn't mind- just call a day ahead.  I'm thinking BIG.  Hope he has what I need.  This tree will be decked out in all the bling that is my extensive ornament collection.  I used to buy an ornament every time I went to town in the months of November and December.  This year, well, I'm not getting out much.  But I found a huge box of old ornaments in a storage unit I bought a few years ago.  Score!  Lots of lights, lots of shiny glass. I once heard it said that Christmas trees are modern day asheroths.  ?!?!  I'm not worshiping the thing, I just happen to love how it looks and how it smells.  The same could be said about my husband! 

1 comment:

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

So glad you get a little pre-season season in with all the work. Preface is always good. I had hoped to do a little decorating here, too, but that hasn't happened yet. We are invited to a Christmas luncheon tomorrow. I'm taking Amma grown/canned Romas. Maybe we can sneak off for a pre-holiday seasonal shopping ourselves afterwards.

That tree must smell really good, even without the scent of pine. They need to develop scent in the fake needles, don't they? But if they did that, they'd likely fall out, too. Love you ALL.