Wednesday, November 30, 2005



See? Sarah was jesting about orange mumus...

and I just have to show what I was working on last week. I decided to let Sarah's quilt simmer in my "stewdio"- I think that's Dawn's saying, and I love it. I dug out some fabric from my stash and started Bargelloing. You see, I had a dream about a quilted jacket, and I had to see it through. "I just don't remember it being this orange." That's a line from "While You Were Sleeping," since Tonya just watched it. Well, it's not as bad as it looks- at least that's what I keep telling myself. It was just dark in my livingroom, tonight, and the camara is notorious for underexposing and it makes the colors look darker than they are. Most of what looks black here is, actually, burgundy and green. really. I am planning on making the shearling jacket pattern.

I made two panels like the one on the couch for the sleeves. The panel with several waves in it will be the back and the one with the dip in the middle, I am planning to use for the front (It's upside-down in the picture, as I think it'll definitely be more slimming the other way!) I am going to quilt the panels before I cut them out. I made them plenty big so that I can wash and shrink it - several times. I want it to be soft and wrinkled. Like an old quilt. (Isn't there a Dolly Parton song about that?) I do plan to use tailer's chalk and outline the basic pattern on the panels before I quilt them- I don't want to spend hours quilting in Darcie's little stones only to find out that I put them in the armpit! The weird "cross-section of cells" fabric is for the lining and the collar. (Judy- I used 5 1/2 yards of fabric in the bargello, alone.) I mentioned to DH that maybe this is just a phase I am going through. When he asked for clarification on what "this" was, I said, "quilting." He about fell over, laughing. I have been thinking that I am unsure about how quilting fits into my life. I'm not sure if it is an escape- when I feel overwhelmed, a comfort- to help me through rough patches, or an embellishment- a way of expressing myself. But you know, I think it is different things at different times. And all of those things at the same time. The last quilted jacket I made was three years ago- seems hard to believe. And ok, I made 14 jackets that winter. They were those Just Jennifer jackets. Mindlessly slapping on patches of fabric. Around and around. No pressure and you really couldn't mess one up. And I loved them. I kept three and gave the rest away. But they don't "fit" anymore. Literally or figuratively. Those jackets expressed who I was then, but I'm ready to move on.. but man oh man.. I can't imagine what I'll be thinkin' about this one in three years!

7 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

That jacket is gonna be dynamite - very vibrant. I hope you'll model it for us when it's all cozy - wanna see how it looks on you.
Took me far too long to remember where in the movie that orange quote is. Geez, slow brain this morning.

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Can't wait to see it when it's done!

Bonnie

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Can't wait to see it when it's done!

Bonnie

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh man - I can't wait to see it when it is done! I love bargello's!

Granny said...

Goodness, sounds like quilting is all you'll ever need! At least three hobbies rolled into one!

I think the jacket is going to be lovely and if you don't like it, I'll be glad to wear it for you!

Judy L.

Darcie said...

Ohmygoodness, Nines!!! Those fabs are gorgeous all together! I cannot wait to see your jacket...you're going to model it for us, correct?!

I love your reasons for quilting! You're so "real!"

Darcie

PS. But I have to ask...is the "g" in Bargello a G sound...or a J sound? I've always wondered.... I've been thinking about teaching a Bargello quilt class...but thought that perhaps I should know how to say it first!
;-)

Hunter said...

Wow. The cloth you're making is beautiful. I can hardly wait to see the finished jacket.

Aloha,
Darilyn