Wednesday, September 13, 2006


Squeeealllll.....

Lookee what I've got!!!! Hope I didn't hurt your ears with all that shouting with joy! Aren't they just lovely? 264 tiny little triangles in each block!!! All hand-pieced! And 24" across! These pictures don't do them justice, but we have had such gloomy days with rain, rain, rain. But you know? I can't bring myself to be gloomy along with it as I have these gorgeous blocks to dream about. And how did they come to me? Well, this will make you laugh....

You guys know I have been obsessing about postcards, lately, right? I don't know why, but I just find them a whole lot of fun and when you send them to folks- well, they seem happy to get them. Yes, I know I owe a few of them out to you, but I really have been busy with that garden- which I am glad to say is done, done, done!! Woo-hoo!! I need to throw a "putting away the canner" party! But back to the post cards... I had made a post card out of scraps from an antique quilt- I hope that's not blasphemous, but honestly, you could put your head through some of those holes! And I saved what I could of it. Well, this particular postcard was all cream-colored and had some antique lace on it. DH grandma was a prolific crocheter of lace and a hoarder of all that is hand-made. I'll have to show you my antique lace stash someday. I keep getting side-tracked don't I? Been that kind of morning. Laundry does that to me. So, I sent the postcard to Tanya at the quilt shop- about a year ago. She posts them on the wall above her door at the quiltshop. Well, a few months ago, my post card had fallen down and it was sitting on the counter waiting to get restuck to the wall... and a client, Holly, notices it. We got to talking about my addiction(let's call it what it is) for all things old and pitiful. and then yesterday... I was out getting Tanya and I some lunch... and Holly is in the shop when I return. Tanya hollers out that I missed my chance. I start to whine about how I was getting her food and I was only gone 5 minutes... And there on the table are these lovely blocks... And now they're mine!!!!!! I am so thrilled with them. I think I have some old vintage fabric- appropriately stained- that I can set them in. I am just so excited, I had to share my good fortune with you- all from a post card. I knew I was obsessed for a good reason.

11 comments:

Melanie said...

You must be living right-- the blocks are gorgeous... who cares if they are stained... it's character...
Melanie

Hedgehog said...

What a find!!! Lucky you.

Patti said...

What a treasure you lucky dog, you! Those of us who love old quilts are green with envy! It'll be neat to see what you do with them.

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

Speaking of green...is green in their setting future? I always think of green with vintage...must be my mommy in me.

They're great Nines. I'd squeal too.

Lucy said...

OOhh Lucky you !! I am dark green from jealous :-))

quiltpixie said...

that's worth breaking my eardrums with your squelll :-)

Tracey said...

Oh my goodness!!!

Those blocks are GORGEOUS!!!

Yes...I'm jealous. Very. But happy for you, none-the-less. :o)

Carol E. said...

What a great story! It'll be fun to see what you do with those beauties. Enjoyed your postcard pictures. I've been making them, too, but only a couple of them at a time. I posted a picture of one at my blog just yesterday. Take a peek!

Judy said...

Wow they are simply amazingly gorgeous!

Darcie said...

Ohmymy!!! You're worthy of a little shouting...and a few hippy shakes too! How fun...can't wait to see what you do with them. No rush though! Enjoy them in the bare nakedness. Oh...how I'd love to see those hand stitches...they look quite *square* actually.

You just keep postcarding away! Are you going to do any classes at your quilt store? You've got lots of talent to share, my dear!