Tuesday, December 05, 2006



I'm better than I think...



...I said that the other day in regards to getting the collar on this coat. My Mom said that wasn't a bad mantra. Personnally, I think the coat fits me better. Sorry about cutting my head off- I'm having a bad hair year. DS Joe was horsing around, last night, while I was trying to get a picture of it, and I told him to cut it out, or I'd blog him. He really isn't worried about that kind of thing. Fine. Consider him blogged. I have no idea what that dwarf beard is all about...

I made the four panels for this coat, last December- it's in the archives. The weather here has turned cold and I thought, that with the guys on a hunting trip... I should try to finish a project. (I did get 2 of the 3 client quilts done, so I was feelin' a bit neglected.) It really is like making four little baby quilts! I quilted them up, Friday. There is cotton batting in the body of the coat and flannel in the sleeves. I washed the panels after they were quilted so I didn't need to worry about my jacket shrinking after I had put all the work into making it! I am not the best at clothing construction- or "wearables" as they are called in the quilting industry. (Don't the terms "quilting" and "industry" sound weird in the same sentence?) But I am better than I think I am! The pattern that I used was great because it was for a shearling coat and so they took into consideration the extra thickness of the fabric and all. It is a bit too big, but that'll just make it more comfy, right? It only took 3 hours to make- and that includes the bias binding. Bias binding... I think that is a first for me. They say it is supposed to wear better. I took the coat for a test run, yesterday evening. 18* and it was really quite comfortable. But I did have a sweater on under it...

Well, I need to scoot- It's Tuesday and work won't wait. Have a great day and stay warm!

9 comments:

quiltpixie said...

the jacket turned out wonderfully. I love the light colour being the lower centre front...

Carrie said...

You did such a great job, I love it!

God bless :)

McIrish Annie said...

love the fashion show and the jacket!!

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

Of course - of course with the Hebrew beard...it's Joseph in the coat of many colors!

And a B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L thing it is, too. Congrats!!! XOXOX

Isobel said...

I made Kathy a quilted jacket some years back and she returned it to me a couple of years ago for a new lining. I think she is getting it back, newly lined for Christmas. She wore it in all kinds of weather.

Darcie said...

Joe might like to watch out...one never knows when one will be *discovered!* Oh...and thank goodness that is a beard...a fake one at that. I was certainly hoping that it was not some of their hunting finds from the weekend! ;-)

A lovely, lovely jacket, Nines! Good things are worth waiting for! It will be perfect for your IN weather. And wearing it to work will certainly drum up sales for patterns and fabric and machine quilting!!!

Oooh...and I can just imagine: Some Angelina beads on another, artsy jacket!!! (No rest for the weary!)

Hugs!

Deni said...

Love the jacket! I wish I could make one that fit correctly! Of course my 13 year old daughter saw the pic of your son and said (in typical 13 year old fashion) "OH MY GOD! HE IS SOOOOOOO CUTE!"

Have fun...

Denise

Susan said...

The jacket looks great, even headless. I can't believe it only took 3 hours! That will be nice on those chilly, but not freezing, days.

Judy said...

I think it's absolutely fabulous!! Great job!!