Monday, June 18, 2007

Patches...

Don't ask me why... but for some odd reason, my guys like to wear jeans with patches- it's like some kind of competition- who has the most. Now, granted, when you are a young man, most things become a competition, but I think this one is a bit odd. I spend quite a bit of time sitting behind the sewing machine attaching patches to jeans. I keep trying to tell the guys that, really, these jeans are beyond redemption, but they turn their big brown eyes on me and get all sweet and say, "please." What's a Mom to do? My DH rolls his eyes and has laid down the law that they won't be wearing those jeans when they work with him. So they save them for special occasions. The kids at camp call Daniel "patches." I asked if that bothered him, and he just said, "Nope." There are patches on patches on those jeans. I recently got him a new pair of jeans and I am sure he didn't have them for 2 weeks before I was putting patches on those. I had to wonder if he didn't do it intentionally, but as the said hole was right in the seat... nah, it was purely accidental. He was really grieved, too. His only pair of intact jeans, biting the dust in only 2 weeks. We've had to patch them several times, since. They just don't make jeans like they used to. True, though, the boys are very hard workers and I'm seriously considering contacting Carhart, Dickie or some sort of work clothes manufacturer- I could loan the guys out to test their product's strength and durability! Those patched up jeans do look kinda cute with their size 13 shoes!

6 comments:

Julia said...

I like them. At least they don't want to wear them with the holes in them. They are right in style with the "distressed" and "vintage" look in clothing right now. And I am sure that they cost you a lot less than the name brand in those styles. LOL

By the way, I hope that you had a nice birthday the other day.

Saska said...

My guys are the same way. I have a box of too-far distress jeans that I use for patches.
Remember when it was stylish to hang the jeans on the clothesline and shoot them with a shotgun for the holey-effect? Mine get them naturally!

BTW--I have some size 13 AND 15 boots at my house!

Sarah said...

You somehow cut off their cute faces!

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

...I'm sure those Dickies come in 10 sizes :) Hats off to the jean patcher..not an easy task.

It may be genetic..Grandfather keeps pulling out those old patched work pants (blush). (we won't even mention underroos....)

XOXOXO

Darcie said...

...and I'm sitting here wondering how in the world you get those patches where you got 'em! Girlfriend...you've performed the impossible! I must take lessons.

Yes...where are those cute faces with those brown eyes?!?!

Hugs to you!

atet said...

Love those patched jeans -- but don't they know you will need the fabric eventually for jean quilts?? ;0)