Tuesday, May 05, 2009


I have a dream...
to once more be able to see the boys' bedroom floor. Do you think it's possible? I have my doubts and yet... I have a dream!!! I found this old picture in the archives and I guess it got me riled up! It was taken after a clean sweep! Last week, I went up there- can't remember why I so lightly took my life into my own hands... Maybe the fresh Spring air was inspiring me to get to the bottom of a very big problem. See, when we have company, I tell the boys to clean their room. Later, I ask, "Is your room clean?" and they say, "Almost." And that seems to be where we leave it. I guess ignorance is bliss. Last week, my dear sweet sister in law came with her two sons. The one is too young to sleep more than a door away from Mama and the older goes up to the boys room and stays- never fully appreciated what a brave boy he is. Or maybe just as oblivious as my boys seem to be. Anywho... I opened the door and was greeted by the smell of socks from five boys... nearly knocked me flat. Guys! You know, they never notice. And their bathroom- it was Joe's chore and he's been gone for two months- my oversight in not assigning a new chore to someone else, but you'd think some one would have noticed it. Nope. Not guys. They did, however, notice the clean stool. Yes, I caved and cleaned it. There was no way I could have slept that night knowing what was up there!
Tonight, they are having their bonfire and a high old time. Let them enjoy the moment for tomorrow is a day of reckoning. Any suggestions on decluttering- other than throwing it ALL away and starting fresh?- my idea.

11 comments:

Donna said...

remove everything. Only things that have a home can be taken back into the room. One at a time. Set a time limit of 3 hours. what doesn't have a home and is put away in 3 hours goes -- makes them set priorities and cleans it all up with an end point in sight.. Good luck!

Donna said...

it does seem like great minds think alike--I began a room cleaning quest this very day. Dee and I only got the closet tackled so far but it's a start. I hope to one day soon see the floor again...

scraphappy said...

I have those same issues with my three. I end up throwing everything into a box or basket and then they have to "earn" back whatever is special. I give them a chance to clean first, but then I am ruthless. Good luck.

YankeeQuilter said...

I had a similar "scene" with my stepson...had everyting put into plastic bins in the garage, every surface of the room cleaned, a bit of paint used to cover the sneaker prints on the ceiling, and then a major reorg of clothing where if it had holes or didn't fit it didn't go back. It took two full weekends but in the end it was worth it. (Just so you don't think I am a mean step-mom, years later he was "recycled through basic training 3-times because he couldn't keep his area clean! Some kids just have to learn the hard way....)

Ye Merrie Quilter said...

I think the only way is to gut it--Clean Sweep style. If you have ever seen the show, they start with three piles (usually tarps laid out on the front lawn); they're labeled "Keep", "Sell" (or donate), and "Toss". Take a roll of masking tape to designate areas to clean--each guy cleans his own space--and no playing "not in my backyard" by throwing stuff into your neighbor's space. Place big garbage cans in the middle for donateable toys and clothes, and another one for garbage. Fastest cleaner gets a prize (something edible or an honorary title). Slowest guy gets the job of cleaning the bathroom. Think it'll work? :) Good luck!

Sarah said...

Must be time to "Clear a path!" I don't think I ever saw there room as clean as it is in that picture! Good luck. Lucky you have a dumpster! Love you and miss you!

Sunna Reyr said...

Hi, I'm from Iceland and I've bin reading your blog for over a year now. I have two sons and two daughters. When they were little I used to sit down in their room and talk them trough cleaning, you know start with this, then this....

Later each kid needed a different approach. The oldest, a boy, was always real quick to clean out his room if I offered to do it for him, a real collector of all kind of jewels (junk) which he knew would end up in the garbage if I got really started cleaning out his space. The younger boy, at 22 still needs help (support) though he does most of the work. (ADHD)

I've only to say that I don't like how the girls room is looking to get some reaction. The older 20, was away in school for two years (a real eye opener for her to keep her own "home") so the younger 17, took over their room and refuses to give over now that the "prodigal" is returning.

So the older boy who now lives in a little old house (fixer/upper)on our farm is making over a room for his little sister full well knowing that she will put some ground rules about house cleaning and boy does he need it, since ma is not there to harass him. (He's a darling though and is totally saving the friendship between his sisters lol)

Love your blog and your tales of the live on the prairie.

Sunna.

Granny said...

No suggestions but having just one son, it's real hard for me to get brave enough to enter his bedroom/bathroom. Good luck.

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

I think that photo was touched up! You washed out all the "treasures". Where is the pile of rocks that Jacob thinks are really jewels and can never part with? He never saw a rock he didn't like. Since all their dirty clothes were on the floor that means they were going around naked. Didn't you notice that? Just kidding! Does it ever get to trashed up for boys? If they can climb over it to get to their bed, there is no problem.
Good luck on getting the room clean. Be sure to take another two pictures of the before and after, if you are brave enough. --Grandfather

Darcie said...

I've found no solutions. Two out of three of my kiddos are tidiness-challenged. I just keep their doors shut. ;-)

Happy Mother's Day to you, sweet Nines! Love you bunches.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Hah! I only have one girl in one room and I haven't seen that floor in about 5 years!