Tuesday, November 17, 2009


Tesselation frustrations...
Last week, my "friend" Sandy cleared out some of her stash and a bag of flannel found it's way into my stash. I was very excited about the acquistion- she had all the stars sewn, afterall. So I just jumped in with both feet. Realized the water was shallow, indeed. The directions were pretty sketchy, at best- with no directions to speak of once you got the stars all sewn up. Then I realize that every- and I mean every- seam is not only curved but inset... I called Sandy all kinds of names and accused her of being pure evil. Now I realize why it came to visit at my house. Should have sent it straight home. After laughing her head off at me, she suggested I make a table runner out of it and pass the remainder of the stars along. But who ever heard of a flannel tablerunner? So... I have been sewing- none, yes NONE of the points are matching up, but I keep trudging along bouyed by the hope that maybe- just out of shear coincidence- two points will eventually come together. You never know. It has been rather an adventure and the flannel is a forgiving medium, when all is said and done. The borders are a complete mystery. The picture that came with the "pattern" is all of 2x3"!!! I mean, would it have broken the bank to make a 4x6" picture? At least then you had hope of being able to figure just how to finish this thing off. Am I griping too much? I don't mean to. I'm actually having a good time cutting peices out with scissors again. Gasp! How long has it been since I did that? I am four rows done with just one more to go. And then insetting all of these weird shaped pieces to hopefully end up with a straight-edged quilt.
I have a house full of company coming this weekend and next. Don't you know I am sewing when I should be cleaning. Can't seem to help myself. Some kind of coping mechanism, no doubt. Works for me. The kids have opted to wait until the last day to clean house- so confident that we can get it done in one day. Ahh, naive little things. But I seem happy enough to go along with them. Have a great week!

5 comments:

Karen said...

This can't be a fun piece to sew on. You are a brave soul to continue.

jovaliquilts said...

If none of the points come together, it will look like they are not supposed to come together! It's a lovely pattern. I know I've seen something like this before. If I can think where, I'll let you know -- maybe those directions will be better.

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

Those are shy little stars - reaching out their fingers, but afraid to touch. :) XOXOXO

Isobel said...

I, for one can attest to the fact that sewing is way more fun than housecleaning....if you don't think so, just come see my floor.

KelliLee said...

Those itty bitty peices just make me shudder. But the results are very pretty!
Hey... I must need an updated cell # for you, because I wanted a Nina fix today and got a rude message from Verizon instead...