Saturday, June 19, 2010



Life is just a bowl of cherries...


Whoever made that saying up- to demonstrate how easy life is- was way off base. They must have never faced said bowl of cherries. OK, my bowl was a bit bigger than the average, maybe that is where the discrepency lies. Picked 15 gallons of cherries yesterday and today. What does one do with that many cherries, you ask? I'm here to say, that is a whole lot of pits- and we have only made it through the first 7 gallons. Made freezer jam- ten batches- and froze cherries for future pies. Still need to pit those last couple buckets. Thinking I might need to get the canner out and just can some, seeing as I am out of sugar and sure-jell. Wish I knew someone nearby who would like some work, er, cherries. We have tried about everything to make the process more interesting- including listening to the Beach Boys very very loud, talking about funerals, racing to the bottom of the bucket, etc. Not much makes cherry juice dripping from one's elbows more pleasant.
Been moseying along on the Bible flash cards that I'm making. I'm starting off with 6 copies of each time period. I don't handle repetition well. Gets a bit dull and boring. Only six more to go. Six times six... aw man, that's a lot. Like my metal ceiling in my quilting room? Gives it a very primitive feel and makes it... more interesting.
I am enjoying my embroidery machine. Haven't had much time to play with it- hasn't slowed me down, too much. Learning my way around the software- slowly, but surely. Old dogs, new tricks and all that. Haven't sewed much, quiltwise. I did make the two blocks that I need to sew for the Wayward Fabric Club challenge. But that's about it. Had our Gospel meeting this week- kept us hopping and now Nines is a tired girl.
The children have been swimming and they even were good enough to join me in some yard sale-ing. Found a very interesting book on making dyes from plants. I have some husks from some black walnuts that are ready to try out their dyeing ability. That will have to wait for another day...week? Picked up a couple hand knit dish towels for 10 cents each. Not much else. But we had fun looking. Hope everyone has a good week. I plan on keeping it simple and slowing down just a tad. But you know me- I can't seem to help myself from going full bore ahead and not stopping til I drop. Gotta fix that.

5 comments:

Tamara Hampton said...

you made my mouth water!!! i miss fresh picked cherries (not too many here in texas... but i grew up in michigan) good luck getting to the bottom of the buckets!!!

teelduo said...

I AM COMING NEXT SATURDAY! WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah said...

We had a neighborhood garage sale this weekend but I avoided it - don't need any more junk in this house! Ian and Stacy drove around to see if anyone had a geared bike that would fit Ian - no luck. I thought of your friend who always had the amazing luck with finding things - so I said a quick prayer!

The kids are in Arkansas this week and I am left to my own devices. Need to paint Maddie's room and of course I want to spend some time quilting.

Miss you and love you!

Isobel said...

In my basket-weaving phase, I made some black walnut dye for the basket splints....what a rich wonderful color it made....just remember, old, old, old pot and RUBBER GLOVES...strong ones not those weinie surgical gloves which can get a hold poked in the finger resulting in chocolate fingernails..yuk.

Darcie said...

Yes, I do love that ceiling! Every once in awhile (more often, really) I will see something and think "ah...Bill would know what to do with that."

Take time for yourself today. ;-) Lotsa love....