Friday, September 23, 2011

One of the last summer days...

I love to watch my kids contented and enjoying the sunshine. So sweet.

Bizarre thing happened, yesterday. Actually, it all occurred exactly as the laws of nature dictate. The funny thing about it- it involves my hair- you guys are gonna think I'm obsessed. But that's just how it happened. Maybe I should include a hair feature in each week...nah.

I was coloring my hair- for those of you unfamiliar with the process, I color my roots- wait 15 minutes and then the remainder of my hair and wait another 10 minutes. I had just finished my roots and I had 15 minutes to kill. It was at this point that I remembered that the shower stall needed cleaning. (It has a door on it, so I never think to clean it until I am getting in and then there just isn't any time for that.) Perfect opportunity to get the chore done. I spray the walls and floor with cleaner. The cleaner I have to use is very potent-and perfectly legal- as we have hard water. Nothing else, short of a jack hammer, will remove those stains and white chalk-like residue. I usually let it set for a few minutes, so I went ahead and colored the rest of my hair, figuring I'd wipe down the shower during my last 10 minute waiting period. Bear with me, I'm getting to it.

I turn around and I'm confronted with a cloud of smoke of near Biblical proportions. Hydrochloric acid(the cleaner) gives off fumes, but nothing like this... Ah, now I see. Ammonia Hydroxide(the hair color) also gives off fumes. Apparently when they meet up they do a little boogie. Should have paid more attention in those college chemistry classes. Dr. Winton is shaking his head sadly- but with a smile on his face 'cause I finally caught on. I quickly opened the window and set up a fan and the cloud cleared out pretty fast. I'm not sure of the chemical properties of this concoction- other than toxic- but I've a sneaky suspicion it was explosive as well. Good thing I didn't have a candle burning. It was a singularly bizarre occurrence. Whodda thunk?


When the guys got home from work- just a few minutes later- they were so offended by the smell, I'm pretty sure that any wife they may have in the future will be strongly advised about the dangers of coloring their hair. I somehow doubt they will be as adamant about the dangers of cleaning the tub.

5 comments:

julieQ said...

Oh, be careful!!! Sorry you had to experience that...I combined ammonia and bleach one time...not a good thing!!!

Peni said...

We've all made a bad mix here and there...so glad where there was smoke there was no fire. Now about that asthma.

Triple sweet picture!!!

teelduo said...

Call me and tell me as soon as John tries the two chemicals together just to see the reaction for himself. LOL

Quilts And Pieces said...

Way too funny! Thanks for the laugh!

Isobel said...

Well, if you had created a bit of flames they would have said, 'She gets that from her Aunt Isobel'. Glad things turned out alright. Makes one wonder though about putting that stuff next to the skin, doesn't it.