Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Another finish...

I found this quilt top at an antique mall.  I think I paid $5 for it. It's an odd quilt.  Completely hand pieced. She used stripes in almost all of the squares except the corner stones. the sashing is all striped and she didn't have big enough pieces for them, so a lot of them are piece-mealed together.  She made it work.  Pretty sure an iron never touched it. You can see where she whacked the top and bottom off to try and make it even.  I had to straighten that out. Her stitches were pretty big.  The lilac fabric on the edges doesn't match anything in the quilt.  But she sewed a top by hand.  

I'm loving the randomness of the layout. I'm pretty sure the top was so cheap because it isn't a particularly pretty quilt, but I can't resist an orphan.  Wonder what the story is behind it?  How did it end up in a bin?  I'd love for the maker to know that it's finally reached it's full potential.  I just quilted it in a meandering loopty loop.  That way I could try and hold down as many of the seams as possible. The backing is a sheet I found at Goodwill and the white binding was given to me by a friend. 



I've been trying to quilt as much as possible.  First, I finish a quilting a quilt and then, the next morning, I put another quilt on the frame and before I start quilting it, I put the binding on the last quilt I quilted.  Seems to work.  Getting a quilt in the frame is a bit of a drag, but once it's in there, I can hardly resist quilting just a little bit. And so I progress. The next quilt is a foundation string.  More scraps.   


2 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

How nice that it has finally found a home. Love to know what the story is behind it.

Anonymous said...

When using Threadart thread, I didn't have a problem quilting with it; however, when I washed the quilt the thread broke on pretty much the entire quilt on the first gentle washing. I was so disappointed in the outcome. I hope yours doesn't break.