Tuesday, February 05, 2019

It's a start...

So, I'm setting my piecing quilts aside and trying something new.  Not sure what, exactly, but this looks fun. I found it at Goodwill for 99 cents.  It reminds me of the fabric art postcards I make. The little collages are about 7-9" and each one is as different as can be.  The book is really more for inspiration than anything, although she does show- step by step- how she achieved different effects. I'm feeling inspired.  One of the things that I need to learn is how to free motion sew. I've never had to do that as I've always had a quilting machine. The postcards are so small that it's never been a big deal to spin it in different directions. But, suddenly, it all makes sense. I wonder if I can do it.  Years ago- I think it was 22 years- I saw a pattern in a quilting magazine that I loved.  It had all kinds of techniques that I'd never tried. Applique, paper piecing, embroidery(something I was somewhat familiar with) but I remember making the conscious decision, "What one man can do, another can do."  I made that quilt and it turned out just fine.  One block at a time.  So here I am thinking, "Somebody did that.  I should be able to do that."  It won't be the same, it'll be more me. Which isn't a bad thing.  The sewing machine lesson book has a couple paragraphs on how to free motion sew.  I guess I'll start there.

It's reading night.  Every so often, we decide to spend the evening reading.  All of us.  We light a couple hurricane lamps and snuggle in on the couches.  It's a rainy, blustery night so everything seems just right.  I'm reading the Riddle Master series.  A very enjoyable read.