Monday, February 04, 2019

Don't put it off...

Have you ever had a job looming over you that you've just dreaded?  And so you've put it off, time and time again.  Only to finally tackle it and it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be- actually, it was kinda fun.  It happens.  

So, this is a box that I've had under my sewing chair for longer than I remember.  I'm not sure where it came from.  Did I amass all of these various pieces and throw them into this box?  Did the box just come to me as it was?  I honestly don't remember.  I don't know why I was moved to tackle it- time on my hands since I'm not piecing, perhaps.  There are quite a few duplicate attachments.  Even a few for a slant shaft.  The needles show inflation.  One package was $.70, then $.90 and finally $1.50.  I have about a dozen machines, so I'm pretty sure I have enough machines to match with most of the attachments. 


I've never seen this singer piece before.  It's a razor blade knife and a needle threader. All metal. I think that long pokey thing might be a tool for threading elastic through casings. It would be much easier than using a safety pin.


Score!  I found a manual and 4 bobbins for my newest-to me-machine.  It only came with one bobbin and it's tiresome to stop sewing just to wind a bobbin. and an original manual is pretty cool. This gives me the sneaky suspicion that I have another 66 somewhere around here. Need to dig through the cabinets.  I like the machines in cases better because they don't take up as much room.  I have plenty of table top space, but not so much floor space.  But the cabinets sure are pretty, aren't they?
 

I was able to fit all of the attachments into the small boxes and into a machine stool. 

You know, there was one of the things in the box that I found irksome.  It's a Sewing Skills book from 1953.  It's for a class room setting.  When I was young, I made a prairie skirt and shirt in 4-H when I was about 11 years old.  In junior high, they had a semester of sewing when I was 12.  Made a nightgown.  That was the only time sewing was offered. 7th grade.  I think so much emphasis was placed on getting ready for college that practical skills were dropped.  I think that's sad.  I know I wish I knew just half of the knowledge in that work book. I took a clothing construction class in college, but it was just a basic class that assumed you didn't know how to use a sewing machine. I know that making your own clothing isn't as popular nowadays, but I'd like to know how.  Guess I'll be doing some studying.  

2 comments:

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

This looks like the perfect catalyst for whatever new "career" ends up in that quilting slot. Exciting. My guess is that the 1953 guidelines are priceless and ageless. Whatever direction you choose, you'll be great at it. Not a doubt in my mind, and I wish you Godspeed with all my heart. Love you so. Mama

mamasmercantile said...

What a wonderful collection of bits and bobs. I keep putting off sorting through some of my craft stuff maybe I should just bite the bullet.