Friday, February 01, 2019


One for Boo...

This is the quilt I finished for Bekah, yesterday.  I had gotten the top on the frame the day before, so it was a quick project. This quilt is from the WUQ collection. WUQ, or woo-Q, is short for World's Ugliest Quilt.  It was a challenge I set up a couple years ago.  You see, I had this bin full of strips and strings- all different lengths and widths.  So I sewed them all together and set about making quilts from them.  I thought I'd get maybe a quilt or two.  I got 5 quilts.  Two queen, two twins and a throw.  I added the turquoise vintage fabric to these strips and Bekah loved it- so to Bekah it goes.  The binding is from the scrap bag of binding remnants- all different colors.  Since I sew almost exclusively scrap quilts, it doesn't bother me to use scrappy binding.  I don't remember the last time I bought fabric specifically for binding.  When I worked at the quilt shop, it would bring a smile to my face when a customer would spend 45 minutes choosing the binding for a quilt. Guess they won't be making any WUQs any time soon. 

At the rate of finishing two tops into full blown quilts and making one top in a week...  well, it's not exactly one step forward and two steps back but it will be mighty slow progress. As far as I know, I only have two more quilt tops to finish, but I need to purchase fabric for them.  And then, I plan on ordering batting from Connecting Threads, today.  They have a 30% off sale and their prices are still better than Joann's. I like the 100% cotton sheets at Target for backings- nice and soft but sturdy.  So I have some shopping to do with the money I made from my last quilting job for a client. 

The cold has returned to reasonable levels- maybe 10*.  Two people lost their lives in the county next to ours with this cold snap. So sad. We had a lot of ashes to clean out of the stove, this morning. It's hard to clean out the stove when you have a fire burning continually.  But we managed. There's almost 5" of snow on the ground and it looks lovely. 

 I don't know what today's sewing project will be. I'm hoping to take down more of the holiday decorations since it's been a week since our celebration. For some reason, the kids are dragging their feet on it.  Abe says, "Why do we need to take it down?  We're just going to put it back up this year."  No.  It's coming down.  It can be slow, but it's coming down. Mama says.  

2 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

Wow that is such an impressive quilt. I am so surprised that it could be considered ugly...

Angie said...

I love so many of your quilts that you are getting quilted now, but this one! Oh this one is just so lovely!! Am saving a picture of it for future one of my own. This quilt just sings to me. And Bekah is just darling. :D