Monday, March 18, 2019

 Catch a falling star...

My Mom pieced this quilt and I quilted and bound it.  About 2 years ago, my mom was down-sizing and she put all of her quilts on a clothes line and allowed all of the children/grandchildren to choose which ones they wanted.  I don't recall there being any fussing about who got what.  It was all very amicable.  I do have some very sweet and Godly relatives.  Laurie, my daughter-in-law, choose two quilts and this is the last I need to quilt of her's. Since the top was so busy, I just did a largish meander. Isn't the backing sweet?  Kind of a cross between Hummel and Eloise Wilkins. I received it as a gift and it's sat in the cupboard, languishing, for several years.  The print was too big to cut up, but it makes a perfect baby quilt backing.  Grandbaby #8 is due around the first of May so it'll be perfect for him. 


I finally got around to tearing the paper out of this wallhanging.  What a hassle.  But I turned on some tunes and just moseyed along.  My music tastes have been challenging for my kids, this winter.  I usually listen to whatever they are listening to, but I've been on a country music jag.  The kids have been very sweet about it and even insist on spending time with me out in the quilting room.  But when George Jones comes on, I can hear them cringe.  But I'm starting to like him.   



This was my first attempt at random baptist fans.  I knew I was doing it wrong, so I asked for some help on Facebook Quiltville Open Studio.  Those girls rock!  It wasn't one minute after I asked how to do it that they supplied Bonnie Hunter's tutorial on her blog- that was the very one I was looking for but I couldn't find it.  How cool is that?  So, I ripped it out.  Changed the batting and the backing.  I was have a terrible time quilting through the layers.  I bought new needles- sharp ones. Basted it much more thoroughly.  Will only be doing four arches per fan per Bonnie's instructions.  I'm looking forward to having a new hand project.  I quilt random baptist fans with the quilting machine but I wanted a more primitive look for this one.  This quilt is made from all of my hand dyed fabrics.

Before I tore it all out.  Keeping it real.



The stomach bug has been running amok throughout the house. I have been spared for the most part- you know how you feel sick knowing everyone else is sick... and then, you're not?  Of course, if I were superstitious, I'd say I just jinxed myself. But, I'm not going to be that person.  

Winter is refusing to loosen it's hold on us.  We had the most beautiful snow of the season, yesterday. It melted very quickly, and now we're back to tan.  It'll make us appreciate the green of Spring.  And gives me more time to quilt!     

2 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

How generous of your sweet Mum to let all the family have a pick of her quilts. Love the one you chose and quilted.

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

Your hand-dyed concoction is stunning. I had forgotten what I named the quilt top, but knew it was starry. Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, never let it fade away. Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket save it for a rainy day...Perry Como style. Yep, I'm showing my age. ;-)