Thursday, June 13, 2019

Destiny...

This isn't a very good picture of one of my favorite quilts.  It's really big.  I was fearful of sharing it as... well, I wouldn't want to infringe on any trademarks or that sort of thing.  I look at it as fan art and there's a whole lot of that out there.  Destiny is a video game that I got hooked on several years ago.  I'd get up early in the morning and watch about a half hour of my oldest son playing it before he went to work.  I'd pour myself a can of Diet Coke over ice and just watch- eyes watering because I hadn't figured out how to blink while watching, yet.  I've got that under control now.  It was just a lot of fun to watch.  Eventually, I started playing but I'm really bad at it.  It's more fun watching some one who knows what he's doing.  Unfortunately, the game is a point of contention between us now.  I still love it but my sons are mad at the makers- something about it being too expensive to play.  So I now have a memory quilt of the good old days. 

I'm not sure when it occurred to me to make a quilt inspired by Destiny.  The graphics in the game are really pretty.  Lots of colors and shapes.  I hope you can see that in the quilt.  I designed this myself- and I used only my hand dyed fabrics. I started with one block- the "ghost" block- it's the second one from the left on the top row.  I mostly just wanted to see if I could figure out how to make it.  The angles and placement of colors.  Then it just took on a life of it's own. The more I made, the more I'd think, "Now, I can't leave so and so out."  Of course, the guys would weigh in and insist on other blocks.  Wish you could see the quilting- it's different in every block and really adds to the character of the more solid colors. Actually, only the black and white are truly solid.  (There's a lot of movement in hand dyed fabrics- at least, there is in mine. I wad up the fabrics after soaking them in the dye and put them in plastic bags and heat them either in the microwave or the sun- depending on the weather.  Some fabrics, I sprinkle dye powder on -and those I just lay flat or hang to dry- that's what makes the streaks of color.)  

I'm not sure what I'll ever do with this quilt.  It was hanging on the wall in the living room for a long while- we have 14 foot ceilings in there.  But now, there's a wall mounted TV in it's place.  People would always comment on it even if they didn't know about the video game.  I remember how much fun I had making it.  It still makes me smile.  Silly, I know.

1 comment:

Elaine Adair said...

Omgosh, a video game! Too funny. Frankly, I remember house of ... now don't laugh ... PacMan! How I could not resist a few more minutes/hours playing so I've been afraid to even TRY others fearing addiction of some sort.

Thanks for the visit to my blog - loved the mention of the dappled sun on the quilt.

You always have lovely family stories to relay. Thank you for that.