Wednesday, June 14, 2006

My First 39th...

I teasingly tell people that I celebrated my 1st 39th birthday, yesterday. And I had a really great one. Actually, we celebrated a day early, because I planned to work yesterday. So... I played in the flower garden for a couple hours and even hoed some in the vegetable garden- loads of fun- really. Then I showered and we took the kids to see X-Men. I say that we took the kids, but I've been wanting to see that one since it came out. I have a thing for Wolverine. We had the theater to ourselves and Eva said that it was like having our own theater..."sweet," she said. Hmmm... oh, and then we went by the grocery store and picked up 2 big boxes of fried chicken, and a B-day cake. I am a big fan of the homemade variety, but really, one shouldn't have to bake their own, eh? Then we took our goodies out to the lake- again had the whole place to ourselves, and had a great time. It was a gorgeous day- cool, but warm in the sun. Returned home and hung out- while we all came off the sugar high- and opened my present. I had eyed this "china" a year ago at a yard sale and then, this year it was in the same yard sale again- we have an annual one, down the road. (Now, it is a place setting for 12, but they wanted $50 for it. I just don't carry that kinda cash to a yard sale, and I figured it was really too... dressy for me- even though it really isn't china but a type of stoneware. About 75 years old, I guess. This year, with $50 in my pocket, I went back to get it, and noticed these tiny lines in the finish. I don't think they were there last year- maybe stored in a garage. So I walked away thinking it just wasn't meant to be. DH followed behind me later in the afternoon and got it for $40- with a set(14) of teaplates and cups thrown in! He's been hiding them in his van for the past month! Imagine my surprise! I really love the teaplates- have you seen these?- definitely 50's. Right in front of the punch cups are ashtrays!! What a hoot! We are hoping to start work on another addition in the fall that includes a formal dining room, so I'll have a place to show my pretty plates- the scalloped edges are so pretty.) Bill worked some more on the stadium seating in our family room. (He has that all finished except for a few finishing details. Anxious to take it for a spin.) Around the kids' bedtime, Bill and I snuck off for a late dinner and then to the store where we picked up a bench for the flower garden- now I can sit and feel guilty about all the work that needs to be done. All in all, a great day.

The other things in the picture are some fun stuff I picked out for myself at the quiltshop, yesterday. My Aunt Eva had sent a check to the quiltshop for a gift certificate for me. How sweet is that? I can hardly wait to start playing with the paintstiks- oil paint for fabric- it's a creme, so you can do rubbings on the those texture sheets and stencils and all kinds of fun things. I am working on a fabric scrapbook of the children and thought that would be fun to incorporate into it. If it goes well I'd like to buy a set for my Uncle Greg as he loves to paint on fabric and supposedly this paint does not change the hand of the fabric- even when applied liberally. The colors that I choose are all irredescent.

Last, you have to check out my Mom's blog www.teelsidemama.blogspot.com and see the beautiful painting she is doing for me. It is of the barn that used to sit on our property. It was so huge- 4 stories. It fell, due to heavy winds, age and neglect. We always wanted to save it, but all of our resources went into salvaging the house. Her painting looks better than the photo she was using as a model. She is so talented and I have always wanted one of her paintings.

Now wouldn't you agree that I have had a GREAT day?

13 comments:

Shellie said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had a good day.

How was the new X-men movie? I have to admit I like the movies for the same reason you said.

My dh and I were wondering how much land your house sits on. Your flower and vegetable gardens look pretty big. I'm especially curious now that you mentioned the big barn that fell. I used to go to college in South Bend, IN and drove through lots of farmland between Atlanta and South Bend on the trips to and from school. Am I right in guessing that you're in Central IN? If you'd like you can email me at shellies34@hotmail.com

Thanks for sharing.

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

What she means is she want a painting done "just for her." She may have a cast off or two already, but they shouldn't count. :) The barn's all done...now to get the grounds to look like grass/weeds, etc....

Glad you had a great day, sweetheart. MOM

Sarah said...

The china is beautiful! Did that china ever show up that you thought might be in Tommy's barn?
Glad you had a great birthday. I can see how spending the day in a quilt shop, spending Aunt Eva's gift, would make for a lovely day!

Counting the days!

Sarah

Samantha said...

Happy 1st 39th! I had my 1st 29th last year, and plan to have my second later this year ;-)

Lois R. said...

Happy Birthday!

What a sweetie your husband was to go back and buy the dishes for you! Sounds like you have a good, caring man -- lucky you.

Hey, I recognize those glass luncheon plates. I have a set that belonged to my mother around here somewhere. I never knew that was an ashtray in front of the teacup! I always assumed it was just another partition (like a cafeteria tray). I'll have to go find mine and check it out...

Lucy said...

Happy Birthday !!!! And now 1 year and you can enjoy my age club , the 40 th ;-)

Dona said...

Happy Birthday....What a sweetie your DH is.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Happy Birthday!!! Sweet aunt - now you can play and play and play. And darling husband too - he gets big bonus points for thoughtfulness.

Tracey said...

Happy Bday!! It sounds like you had a wonderful day...and got some really cool gifts!

I've seen your mom's pic earlier...and am, once again, very impressed!

ForestJane said...

Wow, happy 1st 39th birthday!

Having the whole theater and lake to yourself sounds divine - glad you had such a special day. :)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh what a GREAT birthday! Glad you had a wonderful day.

Judy said...

Great gifts. I used to collect the ladies luncheon plates. I have a set of 12 just like that! and yes it's too gross to think you put out your cigarette right on the plate. I'd die if anyone did that now to my cool crystal. They come in so many styles. I love using them for showers!

I have 4 shaped like an apple with a raised ring where the cup goes!

Darcie said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, NINES!!!

Sorry I missed it. So glad that you had a wonderful day! What more could a Mom want!

Oh! Yes! Quilt/art stuff, that's what!!! Good girl. Great books...I've wanted Shelly Stokes' book since she printed it! Yum! I've had those paintsticks for quite sometime now...and still haven't played with them. I can't wait to see what you do with them. And the texturing pads...how fun!

We have so many of the same tastes! Dishes! I love dishes too! We just gotta meet each other!