Monday, January 28, 2019

 Big decisions...

I had a 15 year old say to me, "Mom, there are no decisions, only honesty."  I've been giving that a lot of thought.  It has to do with the reality of things.  Honesty.  The truth. 

But what's my reality?  I think I'm going to stop quilting.  Did I just say that out loud?  Well, there's not many that will hear me out here in cyberland so I think this is a pretty safe forum. My heart just isn't in it any more.  I still love quilts, but I just have so many.  See those four tubs in the back?  Full of quilts.  That doesn't include all of the ones we have on our beds, piled at the end of the couch for snuggling, stashed in every corner of the house. 

 I love the art of  quilts and the history of them.  The stories they tell.  But I think I've said what I've needed to say.  There are 50- exactly 50- quilt tops in those piles. Quilt tops that need to be quilted. (I figure it will cost me about $3,000 to finish them.)  I'll quilt those, but then I'm walking away.  I don't plan on making any more.  Saving some quilts for grandbabies. Giving quilts to all my friends. Sharing my story for anyone who cares to listen.  

This is a really big truth for me. I've been quilting for 30 years. It's been a huge part of who I am. I'm 51 years old and I'm deciding to change.  I guess it could seem like a small thing, but to anyone who knows me, they'll be shocked. Might as well go and buy myself a red corvette since I'm having a midlife crisis! It will mean a lot of adjustments. 

Sewing. 

 I've always loved to sew and that hasn't changed.  Just the venue.  I'm not sure where that will lead me.  I recently sewed a couple shirts for Jacob using a pattern from 1850.  I really enjoyed that, but it's hardly a means of occupying my time with sewing. I sewed a pillow case this morning.  That was fun.  I do have a lot of grand daughters who would look pretty cute in some prairie dresses. I guess I'll just see where this new path takes me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am not sure why, but this just makes me sad. I have always enjoyed reading about your quilting. I am sure your creativity will take you somewhere fun. Best wishes in all you do.

Angie said...

The Anonymous person took the words right out of my mouth---this makes me sad. I too have always loved following your blog, reading about your quilt making, and your family. I hope that wherever your heart leads you, you will find joy.

Lynley said...

Good for you! It can be hard to leave behind something that has been such a big part of your life, but I'm sure there is lots more creativity to come. And it may even come back to quilting one day :)

mamasmercantile said...

There are lots of ways to be creative, I am sure you will enjoy a new adventure. Good luck with whatever this new creative process takes you.

julieQ said...

You know what? It is more important that we keep in contact with YOU!!! Even without quilting...Hugs!