Monday, April 01, 2019


Well, the quilting machine needs a new "thread escapement finger."  I've been struggling with the thing for a month now and our son, Joe, spent 5 minutes with it and found the name of the part and ordered one.  It will arrive in a few days. Cool.  

In the mean time, I'm hand quilting and, for the most part, I'm enjoying it.  I have type 1 diabetes and so I check my blood sugar. A lot. I have callouses on the first two fingers of my left hand.  Unfortunately,  when I'm quilting, that's the hand on the underside of the quilt "feeling" when the needle slips through the layers.  Only I can't feel it because of the callouses.  You'd think this would be a good thing.  But then, I end up sewing my finger to the back of the quilt.  After hours of practice, I've finally been able to figure out how to work on the skin around the callouses.  Which will probably give me bigger callouses. 

Picked up my new glasses, today.  Sat down at the computer and figured out, nope, this isn't going to work.  Not at the computer.  The monitor is too far away for the bifocals and too close for the distance.  So I'll need a pair of glasses for doing computer work.  Gettin' old. But the new glasses work great for quilting, so there's that.

William is in a mad dash for preparing eight people's taxes.  He has 2 weeks. Let's hope he makes it in time.  He doesn't seem worried so why should I? 

The freak Spring storm- where we received a few inches of snow- has turned our winter grasses green.  Color!  Oh how I've missed it! It's so bright with the sun shining. Beautiful.

Gonna run.  We went to the Library today and I have a new Debbie Macomber book. Now what did I do with my cup?   


2 comments:

Angie said...

I feel such peace, coming here to read your posts. I just wanted to let you know that. My world has turned upside down---my husband died a month ago, and I need spaces like your blog to rest my thoughts and heart...and I so enjoy your family. I hope to eventually return to some piecing and quilting, both hand and machine, but until then I am most content reading other quilters' blogs. Thank you, Nines, for continuing to be here. (And trust that William will get all of the tax returns completed :D).

mamasmercantile said...

You are an inspiration with your quilting. Hope you manage to get the part you need and that your fingers heal. Take care.